Tuesday 29 March 2011

As it was

I love Norway and the Norwegians have always been very kind and helpful. They are held in high regard for their tolerance and independence. However it is possible to throw them by doing something a bit different from the norm. I finally got to travel on the preserved narrow gauge line at Sorumsund, part of the Urskog- Holandsbanen third class railway, on third visit.When I asked if it was possible to get off at Fossum and wait for the next train, I was told"'of course" but the quizzical expression and the question "why do you want to do that?" gave me the impression that my sanity was not up to standard. My reason was that although I like preserved railways the act of preservation takes away a lot of their old character. It has to to survive. I just wanted to sit at the station, just me and view listening to the birdsong and waiting for the arrival of the train. As it was in days before it closed because not enough people used it. Try it sometime.
If you really want a hard time and your sanity questioned tell the driver of the bus you want to get off at the bottom of the hill to walk up it.

1 comment:

  1. Did you ask for some thistles to sit in at the top.
    I could write a typical Nigel post, but I couldn't get close to the real thing.
    Love the telegraph poles on crutches. Why?

    ReplyDelete